The Water Dilemma
We are all advised to drink a minimum of 2 litres of fluid a day to ensure good health. From experience, I can also tell you that it aids weight loss. So, what should we drink; after all, there's a awful lot of choice out there? We are told that milk, squash, juice and teas are all Okay. But because they're diuratics, some people exclude alcohol and coffee from the list of acceptable thirst quenchers. And as far as I'm concerned, because I'm a fussy so-and-so, that leaves water. All fine and well, I don't actually have that much trouble drinking 2 litres of water a day, or even 3 litres when I've been exercising at lot. So what is my gripe?
The problem I have is with my green concience. You see, the tap water in Bristol is absolutely vile. I know that it is clean and safe; but the flavour of the residual chemicals left over from the treatments making it so is beyond belief. The water board, who for some reason are very proud of what comes out of the taps, advise customers who dislike the flavour to pour water into a jug or bottle, aerate it (by shaking or stirring) and chill it for a couple of hours to allow these chemicals to evaporate. Okay-dokey, but there are two problems with this. First, I only enjoy water at room temperature, or even slightly above during the winter. Second, and this is the killer, it doesn't really work.
I came to the only conclusion that I could; I treat myself to bottled water. Which results in huge amounts of plastic waste. Thanks to the enlightened policies of Blair's Britain, Bristol council doesn't recycle plastics, they are too light apparently. So I take the dead bottles to the supermarket, where recycling facilites are provided in the car park. Now, I haven't done this chore all week, partly due to the fact that I travel by car a lot less frequently than I used to. As a result I am looking at a mountain of plastic and I'm appauled. Just in water there are ten 2 litre bottles and around fifteen 1/2 litre bottles. Surely this is a joke; but if so it is a remarkably unfunny one.
I need to salve my concience and I am trying to work out what to do. Changing what I drink is no good. The only thing that comes out of taps is water; everything else produces waste packaging. I suppose I could try and get used to the taste of tap water - but 20+ years of experience in childhood and beyond tells me this isn't really a solution. I have tried active charcoal filters, and they work for a while, but keeping them topped up never seems to work. And every time you forget, you have to replace the catridge. Work use permanent silver filters which sound like an answer, but believe me, they might as well not be there. Besides, they chill the water.
So I'm looking for suggestions. Does anyone know how to get a decent glass of clean, fresh water without the waste?
The problem I have is with my green concience. You see, the tap water in Bristol is absolutely vile. I know that it is clean and safe; but the flavour of the residual chemicals left over from the treatments making it so is beyond belief. The water board, who for some reason are very proud of what comes out of the taps, advise customers who dislike the flavour to pour water into a jug or bottle, aerate it (by shaking or stirring) and chill it for a couple of hours to allow these chemicals to evaporate. Okay-dokey, but there are two problems with this. First, I only enjoy water at room temperature, or even slightly above during the winter. Second, and this is the killer, it doesn't really work.
I came to the only conclusion that I could; I treat myself to bottled water. Which results in huge amounts of plastic waste. Thanks to the enlightened policies of Blair's Britain, Bristol council doesn't recycle plastics, they are too light apparently. So I take the dead bottles to the supermarket, where recycling facilites are provided in the car park. Now, I haven't done this chore all week, partly due to the fact that I travel by car a lot less frequently than I used to. As a result I am looking at a mountain of plastic and I'm appauled. Just in water there are ten 2 litre bottles and around fifteen 1/2 litre bottles. Surely this is a joke; but if so it is a remarkably unfunny one.
I need to salve my concience and I am trying to work out what to do. Changing what I drink is no good. The only thing that comes out of taps is water; everything else produces waste packaging. I suppose I could try and get used to the taste of tap water - but 20+ years of experience in childhood and beyond tells me this isn't really a solution. I have tried active charcoal filters, and they work for a while, but keeping them topped up never seems to work. And every time you forget, you have to replace the catridge. Work use permanent silver filters which sound like an answer, but believe me, they might as well not be there. Besides, they chill the water.
So I'm looking for suggestions. Does anyone know how to get a decent glass of clean, fresh water without the waste?

2 Comments:
Buy your water in glass bottles. Recycle them via the weekly doorstep collection. Simple.
What about one of those water cooler machines that they have in offices..only don't use the cooler part of it. I know a neighbour had one but I've not seen anymore deliveries.
Post a Comment
<< Home