Spring is sprung ...
... the grass is Riz.
I wonder where the boidies is?
The boidies' on the wing.
How utterly absoid,
The wing is on the boid.
(Anon)
But it is utterly absurd. I was running this afternoon and I passed a huge patch of primroses in bloom. At the start of march. It feels far too early.
And that's not all. This week as I've been walking to work I have had the most marvellous treat. Along the A4, where all I can usually smell is the exhaust fumes from the heavy traffic, I have been surrounded by the beautiful smell of the May in bloom. I have been covered in petals and serenaded by the nesting birds. The May trees! The name gives it away; it should be nearly two months before they flower.
Now, I don't want to turn this into a rant about global warning or an eco diatribe. So what I shall do instead is to say how wonderful nature is. Despite the changes that are happening, and I don't think anyone denies there are changes, nature always makes the best of things. So before the end of February this year I have seen snowdrops, aconite, daffodils and narcissus, primroses, may, crocus and even tulips. How beautiful and inspiring.
Of course, the early appearance of flowers is a trivial event. Other phenomena due to the climate changes are far more serious. Only today we heard about 16 children killed by a tornado in the States. But the point to realise is that the planet is self correcting mechanism. Much doom and gloom is written about the end of the world. But this is only the end of the world as we know it. Should we fail to counteract the current trends, many things will change. There may well be mass extinctions; it is even possible mankind will fail to find a way of saving itself.
But the planet, nature, will not care. It has been through many periods of extreme change. We have evidence of previous mass extinctions. The climate and the ecosystem have been through many different eras in which they took a bashing but they always recovered. Right back near the beginning, earth was incapable of supporting life with little in existence but massive volcanoes and a poisonous atmosphere.
So make the most of every opportunity we are given to enjoy our world. It is very beautiful. It will always be very beautiful, but it might not be the same.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home